Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Tying Up Some Loose Ends On A Good Note!


It’s been two years to the day since my year of service in Sydney, Australia, and it occurred to me how I should end this blog on a more positive, upbeat, optimistic note!

My last post was just a couple days after I got back home to California, and from the sounds of it, was obviously going through a withdrawal period. So I didn’t want my blog of my amazing growth experience to end on with that post. So here’s to tying up some loose ends.

Just to be clearer than clear, my year of service was amazing. I learned so much about myself, my faith, and gained a better vision of what I want to be like and what I would like to achieve while on this earth. Yes, coming home was difficult, but I don’t think I did enough to make my transition less difficult. One needs to understand that I came home to no set plans- no school to go to, no job to start, no path of service in place. It felt like I was starting from “square one” and that is never a welcomed feeling, especially for me. So my first word of advice to anyone in this type of situation is to make sure you have something in place for when you return, as you will adjust quicker to a new rhythm of life. Obviously, allow some time for settling back at home, meeting up with friends, getting over jetlag, but have something to work towards! This will put all your physical, mental, emotional and spiritual energy into something worthwhile. I got a bit too caught up in my own “I’m not in Australia anymore” emotions and it hindered me from taking that next step in a timely matter.

Recognize your emotions, your sadness or happiness, acknowledge your fear and uneasiness, and rejoice in the amazing adventure you’ve had, and then ACT. Taking action, the next step, has always been a challenge for me, but reflecting back when I first got home, I should’ve known better – to pick up and act and not wallow.  Learn from my reflections.

My year in Sydney definitely a time of self-discovery as well as a solidification of what I already believed, in regards to my faith as well as to myself. I always think of my experiences there fondly, even the challenges, some of which are still being dealt with today. I made amazing friends, soul sisters that I will always be connected to in a way that is impossible with others, and even though we’re spread across the world, that bond can’t be severed. Everyone is on such a great path- couple of them are married or getting married, others have moved and started work, others are in school broadening their horizons. I’m so excited to see where all their paths go!

I’m currently a student at the University of Southern California, a prestigious private university that I’m honored and in awe of that I’m apart of. I’m studying East Asian Languages and Cultures, an emphasis on China and Mandarin Chinese, and I utterly love every moment of it - getting back in touch with my roots, my culture, and my language. It’s finding myself, developing myself in a new and different way. In terms of goals for the future, I’m figuring it out as I go! Apparently that is my motto now. I gotta learn to embraces it ;) I have learned that at the core of whatever I decide to do, I want to be of service, I want to feel I’m helping someone achieve something, which in turn helps me feel like I’m fulfilling my purpose. That’s been an invaluable learning.

All in all, it’s been a great 2 years since. Life has changed in a variety of ways, but my time abroad grounded me, made me confident, made me see that an unknown adventure can bring about incredible learnings and growth and joy.

Now there’s a happy ending! Don’t we all love those?  




No comments: