Saturday, May 15, 2010

I'm Back Home

I've been avoiding writing, fearing that once pen touches paper, all my fears will take over and emotion will consume me. I've been home 2 days now, and it's actually the weirdest feeling in the world....I feel like I'm not here, like I'm in a dream world, and that soon enough I will wake up and be in my 3x3 room with kookaburras screaming up a storm. I cried for 2 days straight before I left, so I think I'm all cried out now, yet, have no idea how to express this uncertainty that is within me.

My last couple days in Sydney were so nice- I saw a lot of people and got to say my goodbyes, and I got to go to the House of Worship for the last time on my own, where I, expectedly, balled my eyes out. I miss the people, but I think in the long run, I'll miss the environment the most- an environment that fosters growth, that is infused with a strong sense of love and unity and service. To have the House of Worship there for whenever I needed a place to gather my thoughts, let my emotions run wild, or just to get some peace, it was invaluable.

On the plane, I sat next to a guy who just lives down the road from the Temple. I tried to talk about my service, but found that speaking in past tense was just too hard for me, and I couldn't properly talk if I was going to break down in tears each time! I told him straight out to just ignore me if I was crying in my little corner hahaha. I tried to distract myself with sleep and some lame movies...but it didn't work, some hard, silent crying came through the cracks.

It's going to be an interesting transition to say the least.....

2 comments:

Mom said...

We're here for you, Honey...your family and your friends, both near and far.

Cry to us, tell us your stories, uplift us through your learnings, share your funny tales and we'll laugh, too, share your joys and fears -- it's okay -- we're here for you through it all.

Loves... <3

Unknown said...

Ailene!! I finally write a response...when you're back. I won't say welcome back, because that's not how you're feeling. But I do send my love, and admiration for a job well done. I'm so sorry you're sad. I hope soon that all you're memories of your Aussie time will give you nothing but happiness and smiles, and will help you feel excited about life's next adventure, whatever and wherever it is. It's been amazing to read your blog, sensing your spirit and your growth in each post. It's been kind of like taking this journey with you.

Lot's of love, Elaine